January 4, 2021
Nickerson is a full-service branding, marketing, and communications agency with team members in New York City, Los Angeles, Boston, and Miami. Utilizing our unique blend of communications, marketing & strategic planning, creative services, and risk and reputation management, we elevate the experiential journey, serving as a trusted, global partner to elite, forward-thinking brands. Nickerson was named PRDaily’s 2019 Digital Marketing & Social Media Award winner for Crisis Communications/Reputation Management and was a finalist for PRWeek’s 2020 Best in Crisis award.
The Company is currently in a period of growth and seeks a Controller who will be responsible for planning, accounting, collections, billing, expense management, vendor management, cash management, office management and HR. The Controller will be proactive with the needs to team members, clients and vendors. They will also be proactive in identifying opportunities and solutions for cost-savings, operational improvements and overall efficiencies.
It is paramount that the Controller collaborate with our team members, clients and vendors at the same service level that Nickerson is known for as it directly relates to our success as an agency overall. As Nickerson is positioned for a strong growth trajectory over several cities, it is also imperative that the Controller serves as a partner and advisor with the Nickerson leadership and advisory teams for up-to-date company forecasting, staffing projections and evaluation of office space needs.
- Assist in formulating the company’s future direction
- Monitor and direct the implementation of plans
- Develop sharable performance measures that support the company/divisions strategic direction
- Understand and mitigate key elements of risk for the company
- A/R, A/P, compliance and tax related items
- Controller to be responsible for all communication with clients for collections.
- Develop relationships with payment decision makers and understand each client’s process for payment such that we achieve on time payments
- Provide weekly report identifying our success in meeting goals as well as at risk accounts and plans to address them.
- Validate expenses (including employee expenses and vendor/supplier costs) – with director of each division
- Question expenses – when higher than previous months or seemingly outside of the norm
- Negotiate expenses – to bring costs down and identify efficiencies
- Monthly: Identify opportunities where we have the greatest leverage to lower expenses with plan to accomplish
- Onboarding vendors such that they are “welcomed” to working with our company (provide everything they need to do business with us)
- Manage ongoing vendor subscriptions to avoid lapses in payment/contracts during renewal periods
- Onboarding new employee such that they are “welcomed” to working with our company. Schedule meeting for Day 1 and provide everything they need to fill out or review. For example:
- Healthcare package
- tax forms
- holiday schedule
- Expense procedures
- Vendor engagement/billing procedure
- Managing and planning for the future infrastructure of the company
Meeting & Financial Reporting
- Quarterly: Provide financial reports to Advisors
- Weekly: Financial and operational reports to CEO on Wednesday
- Weekly: Meet with CEO to review financial and operational reports
- Monthly: Meet with Directors to review divisional revenue and expenses while updating bonus potential.
- Evaluate staffing needs based on active/upcoming clients and division revenues
- Flag anticipated revenue decreases based on project work completions for effective new business planning
The Controller will report directly to the CEO & Founder, Lisa Nickerson or assigned Designee. All team members are expected to act and manage at all times in the best interest of the Company and its clients.
- We offer a highly competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision
- 401(k) plan with 5% match
- Long-term and short-term disability
- Unlimited PTO
- Amazing company culture and team environment with a commitment to fostering a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace
- Commitment to career enhancement coaching, skill training and certification opportunities, paid participation in industry organizations and networking events, and corporate support of charitable efforts
- Nickerson is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or 5 – 7 years of related experience
- Fluency in Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
- GAAP knowledge
- Strong written, verbal and collaboration skills